The enduring fame of the Old North began on the evening of April 18, 1775, when the church sexton, Robert Newman, climbed the steeple and held high two lanterns as a signal from Paul Revere that the British were marching to Lexington and Concord by sea and not by land. This fateful event ignited the American Revolution.
The Old North Church is officially known as Christ Church in the City of Boston. It was built in 1723, and is the oldest standing church building in Boston. In 1775, on the eve of Revolution, the majority of the congregation were loyal to the British King and many held official positions in the royal government, including the Royal Governor of Massachusetts, making Robert Newman’s loyalty to the Patriot cause even more extraordinary. The King gave the Old North’s its silver that was used at services and a bible.
Today the Old North Foundation, a secular, not-for-profit organization, is devoted to the preservation of Old North and to creating educational and interpretive programs for students and visitors. The Foundation has embarked on a master planning process to restore the church and transform the entire campus into an interactive learning environment.
We are extremely grateful for the kindness and generosity of Old North Foundation, Christ Church and its vestry. Thank you for your support! For more information about the Old North Church, click http://oldnorth.com.
The Clough House, located adjacent to and owned by the Old North Church, was built in 1712. It’s one of the few surviving 18th century homes in Boston. Today, it houses The Printing Office of Edes & Gill. From the home’s plaque:
“This graceful home was built around 1712 and managed to survive when all its neighbors – including the house that Ben Franklin owned next door – were torn down. This was the home of one of Boston’s ‘substantial mechanicks,’ Ebenezer Clough, the master mason who helped build Christ Church (‘Old North’). Once, before the present-day promenade and newer buildings were here, many small brick houses like this one made up the prosperous neighborhood.”
Master Mason Ebenezer Clough built six identical houses at the back of Christ Church (Old North) in 1712. He settled in number 21 Unity, the only of the six still standing. The other five were demolished long ago. Benjamin Franklin lived in one of the original attached row houses.